This month, when Greg got paid, I purchased some soap making supplies. Pretty much more oil than usual and some lye. There are two ways of making the soap: Hot and cold processing. I like to see both sides of the fence so I tried both ways. It proved to be quite enjoyable. The first kind was a castile soap (full olive oil) and it made such pretty bars. The kids chose the smell and its a bit strong, but from what I've read that fades a bit with curing. The second is an unscented olive oil/coconut oil with a splash of vegetable oil for kicks. I like the look of the cold process bars. They are firm and milky white. We will have to see about the hot process ones. The advantages to hot processing is you don't have to wait for it to cure very long. Its been fun to learn how to do something new.
Millie continues to grow, grow, grow. I can see the advantages to owning a milk goat since they were a baby over buying an older one. She is still skittish about her udder being touched. If she has a doling we will probably keep it and have that be our milk goat next year. That way I can train her how I like. Millie is a very nice goat though and the kids love to go out and feed her sunflower seeds. They are excited to share their goats with the cousins.
Today all three of my kids were making future plans. Some were about what we will be doing over the summer. Several discussions about movable playhouses and motorized go carts were quite entertaining. Some days I just sit back and listen to their plans. It cracks me up. The Professor said that when he grows up he will have a house very close to his best cousins and have only one child.
I forgot to say something! Last week the weather got up to a face roasting 86 degrees! I record for spring at the coast. It was sad to see it give way to the usual 55 and rainy the next week. Blah.




Oh goodness, great (?) minds think alike! Just made my first batch of soap 2 weeks ago and I'm impatiently waiting for it to cure. Made a "shampoo bar", coconut oil, olive oil and caster oil with just a little bit of citrus essential oil. I'm really hoping for soap making supplies for mother's day. I find it very addicting and want to make lots of soap just because I can, even before I know how the first batch turned out.
ReplyDeleteThe kids are getting so big. I definitely miss you guys!! I know you guys are ahead of me. I'm still thinking about making soap. I keep going back and forth wanting to make some and not. Maybe someday when I have more time. I just keep making decorating things for holidays. I find that enjoyable right now.
ReplyDeleteNyssa-DO IT. Its actually kind of addicting. I'm having a hard time not making another batch...but I have more than 20 bars of soap curing on my back porch.
ReplyDeleteEm- While I was making my first batch I actually had the though, "its weird Emily hasn't done this before, its so easy."
I want to buy some of your soap! I love homemade soap :) See you soon!
ReplyDeleteLori