Sunday, June 1, 2014

The leaving

Sure the experiment is only for the summer and after that we will make a decision about forever, but I can't help thinking about goodbyes. There are several things/circumstances I am happy to wave over my shoulder to and never look back at. It is the relationships that we have cultivated over the last seven years that give me pause. They are as follows;
  1. The friendships I have made are hard to give up. It has never been easy for me to make friends quickly, its a process. I am happy to say I have several friends here whom I will miss the company of.
  2. The church here is a good fit. Moving somewhere new means church shopping (for lack of a better word) and new faces, people, etc.
  3. Greg and I enjoy going out to our local coffee shop. Driving five minutes to town, sometimes walking together, is a nice perk. I will miss it.
  4. The ocean is beautiful. When I count up all the years I have spent living near the ocean, they outweigh the years I've spent not living there. When I look at Gods hand in nature it brings me peace. From the beauty of sunsets to the scuff of the sand as you traipse along the waterline, these things are an eternal imprint on my soul and the things I will, no doubt, be talking about when I am 85 and reminiscing.
  5. Living close to my mom, although many days 2 hours seems too far, has provided much joy. She is truly my best and closest friend and confidant. My eyes get teary acknowledging the fact we will be separated by such a great distance. I figure if our relationship can survive menopause, six hours is an inconvenience our relationship can endure. Thank goodness for in network calling plans.
  6. My dad provided the man figure when Greg had to work full time and go to school. The kids adore him (even if he spoils them too much) and although we grumble at each other from time to time, he is special to me. I hope he decides to travel to see us in his twilight years. (Just not driving a motor home while on oxygen *wink*)
  7. I will miss coaching. Are you surprised? Last year was a rough one, but all the roughness helped me see the real reason I like to coach. I like it because its a tiny blip in time that I can make a positive impact on another person.
  I can't say how this experiment will turn out. I wish I knew. I hope you will stick with me through this journey and forgive me when the span of blogging stretches past a week.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...we will miss our yearly visit to visit you at the ocean too. But if you are here...we can go back and visit the ocean together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss you...and your kids..a lot.

    Gregory's Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I missed it..where are you moving to? Your relationship with your mom is so special. I know you will continue to be close, especially with the great phone plan! I love seeing the pictures of the kids.

    Riva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you moving to? Did I miss it? I love reading about your life. It may seem boring to you but it's pretty exciting to me! Your relationship with your mom reminds me of me with mine. Our moms are pretty special and I'm sure you will keep in touch over the phone daily. I can't imagine living 6 hours away. I will pray for your heart as you leave this place and that God will bring wonderful friends your way to fill your heart. I wish you lived here...

    ReplyDelete