Three years back, I use to get up early in the AM and do pilates. Every morning. No fail. My kids would stumble in and say, "don't you want to stop and be with me mom?" My dad (we lived with them at the time) would walk by the family room and say, "what's the point." Still I pressed on.
When we moved back into our house three years ago, I seriously considered that question. What is the point? Here I am working out every morning for nothing. My kids want more time with me anyway. So, after eight years of consistency, I slowly tapered off. It wasn't changing me at all.
With thoughts of, 'I'll do it tomorrow,' and 'a few months skipping wont hurt,' filled my head. Months turned into years. Perhaps, its the changing of a new year that got me thinking about it or the fact I tried to do a few sit-ups the other day and died, but all that work had accomplished something. It may have been subtle and small on a daily level, but huge over a span of time. It did in fact make a difference.
I am not sure if I will ever be inspired to work out in the AM again. Who knows. I am going to think a lot harder about the little daily things I do and their real worth. What if I chose to tell my kids, "No. Today I'm not going to hug you. I don't feel like it."
The daily value of something could be as small as a penny, but the overall value is beyond compare.
Happy New Year 15 days late!
So good to have you back online! Mick is currently down with a back spasm and he's pretty good about working out at the gym... so I, too, wonder sometimes whether or not it makes a difference. Falls under the "moderation" category, I think, as some become slaves to bodily exercise and others are just lazy. Here's to finding a happy balance! Hugs to you and a happy new year!
ReplyDeleteOh dear, I was thinking about our early morning pilates workouts the other day. I tried to keep going on my own when you guys moved back home but alas, it didn't last long. Didn't see much difference while we were doing them but I'm sure starting to notice now that I haven't in "a really long while". Happy Belated New Year!
ReplyDeleteI feel you! I used to get up at the unGodly hour of 5:30 to go work out and have found that's it's almost impossible to keep up. I worked out to a Jillian Michaels dvd the other day and almost dropped dead. You're beautiful even if you don't work out but I can totally see your point of wanting to do something for yourself. It's a delicate balance. - Riva -
ReplyDelete