Saturday, February 22, 2014

nit picking

  I only wish this was a post about how I'm obsessively pestering my kids about reading, writing, and homework. Its not.
  Last week during our bi-annual cousin extravaganza I came up with a great idea. My kids have been sitting at the table sewing so much I've been tempted to start selling items on the internet as "made in America by an American sweatshop." They must enjoy it, since a few mornings before school they have stumbled down and skipped breakfast to sit and sew. I thought, hey if my kids love it...why not buy old sheets from the thrift store and the cousins could join in the fun too?
  That's not where the problem came in. They did indeed have fun. The problem came when, on the way back, the kids pulled out the unwashed fabric and played with it in the van. Here comes the gross part- ready for it?
  The next day my girl plopped down at the table and I did my usual obsessive head checking. Ever since school has stopped doing it, I find myself picking through all three kids hair on a regular basis. Lo and behold there was a stranger on a strand of hair. A little bump I've never see before. A NIT.
  You have my permission to itch your head now. Everyone checked out clean except my girl. My head still itches just thinking about it. Those little suckers tried to break into the wrong house. My sis and I cleaned like mad, gave everyone lice treatments (just because), and did laundry until 2..no 4...no all night.
  My girl has been nit free for two days. I am surprised she's got any scalp left, I check her 2x a day and then make her shower and change. Its been a long week. I didn't let it overshadow the cousin visit though. It was so much fun to be with Kristen. We are both participating in a challenge to write a novella in a month. I might actually make it if I can stop being distracted by...ug...laundry!
  Hope your week has been a less crazy than mine!

2 comments:

  1. Argh! What a night for nits. But just think, for years to come we can think back on that mad cleaning extravaganza and that night we spent an hour each picking through each other's heads with a nit comb after our exhausted and well cleansed children had finally gone to sleep. Oh yeah, and the hilarious romantic comedies we watched...it will look much more fun from a distance, it already is. Love you sis. There is no one else I would rather endure a lice infestation with....Hmmmm???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and itched my head all the way through it. It reminds me of the lice infestation of 2013 in our house. It has a title because it was soooo bad. Let's just say that I should have looked closer at my youngest's head a week before I REALLY checked. I feel your pain and I'm glad you got ahead of it! Sewing, huh?! I'd love to see some pictures of your kid's masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete