Steel thinks of things on a short term basis. One dollar lasts him seconds before he has spent it at the store. The professor saves his money for months, even my girl has been known to plan out a purchase, but not Steel.
For months, Steel has told me of his great love for the Dalmatian breed. (personally its on my least fave list) He wants one desperately and when he gets an idea in his head it lasts for years. Instead of listening to YEARS of chatter about how much he wants one and why we should buy one, I made a plan.
I told him that he was welcome to buy one as soon as he saved $750 of his own money. If he did the daily dollar chore for 2 1/2 years it could be possible. My did rolled his eyes at the plan. He said it wasn't fair to set the bar so high. I feel like, if he could do it then he would teach him about saving for big things and any kid who saved that much on their own can be responsible for big things like a puppy.
What do you think?

That is quite the commitment to saving. I think I personally would start off a little discouraged at the amount of time it would take to save that much. (Of course I could probably use a lesson in saving more as well :) ) Is saving 1/2 or 3/4 an option with you picking up the rest?
ReplyDeleteOh and I love all the knits in the last post! Can't wait for Marilyn to try on her sweater! I didn't even think about looking for yarn sales on cyber monday - but it's probably a good thing!
That's a great goal for him!! He would definitely be responsible after that and know the value of saving money I would think!!!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! And I didn't know I could coment. Now I know!
ReplyDelete