Yesterday, my three decided to open Santa's workshop. They had discussed presents for the cousins amongst themselves and decided to sew things for them instead of buy from the dollar tree. I have to chuckle, because I had nothing to do with their plans. They are all so independent! I spend much of my time these days as a fly on the wall as they work things out by themselves, only intervening when one sings a mean song about the others pet.
None of them have drivers licenses of yet, so I drove them to the fabric store where they wandered around and found the perfect fabric to make leeches (yes leeches) for their cousins. Its a good thing Kristen's kids have the same interest base. Not everyone appreciates receiving a blood sucking parasite for Christmas.
We arrived home and they spent the next several hours cutting, sewing, and gluing. My girl did all but the touch up on her own. The boys needed some help steadying the fabric, but I was surprised by all the elfish ingenuity. The house did not fare as well.
I braced myself as the words, "now you have to clean up" edged past my lips. Believe me, these words have caused much flopping and whining in the past. Healthy children have experienced extreme exhaustion and flue like symptoms at the very mention of the words. I was more than shocked when after 30 minutes the house was clean and there had been no plague outbreaks.
In a few short years this independence won't be nearly as amazing. They will have their own lives, cook their own meals, and do their laundry without all the fanfare. Its nice to be there at the beginning though. Its just one of those mom things.

No comments:
Post a Comment