Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Waiting for babies.

  Millie is stretched like a balloon. Her spindly dairy legs don't look like they should be able to hold her up underneath her burgeoning belly. Yesterday we checked on her three times, but no baby. I've been reading posts on kidding...insert your own pun here...and have found nothing helpful. Everyone else out there is guessing too. Short of buying an ultrasound machine, we're stuck with checking on her three times a day. These are the times I wish she lived in our yard.
  Homeschooling is going well. All three are a more at ease and are treating each other better. I DO miss my free time to write, but what's life if you didn't have to learn new things all the time, right? I decided to work on another novella. The first one needs some marinating time: Time that I don't look at it and tweak it repeatedly. Perhaps I'm just avoiding it?
  This AM Mr. Steel woke up, got dressed, and headed out the door. He started a garden plot for himself right in the middle of my aged compost pile and he wanted to get an early start on it. I'm to pleased with his work ethic to get upset about the fact my compost has turned into a tire garden with a 'frog pond' feature. Mr. Steel feels spring biting at his heels. I'm trying to hold off planting because we wont be here for the summer.
  My leg is much better. The scar will color for a long time. Yesterday it turned purple because it got cold.. I guess I'll have to get rid of all those mini skirts I wear, not to mention the Daisy Duke shorts. (HA)

Here is the garden in its beginning. Mr. Steel is digging away. It looks even better this morning. He just asked me if he can purchase Koi for the 'frog pond.'
My girl is walking in a parade on Saturday. Last week she received the citizenship award with another boy from her class. She is ecstatic about it. She's an extrovert like my brother.
Allergy season isn't kind to the Professor. He spends all spring stuffed up. It doesn't sop him from being the first one up every day. He's a morning guy.

2 comments:

  1. This is Hannah (Greg's cousin). Try checking your goats ligaments morning and evening - there are ligaments that run from the bones on either side of the tail to the backbone. They feel kinda like pencils. As the goat gets closer to kidding, they get softer and softer. Once you can't feel them the goat will probably kid in the next 12 hours. Bagging up is also a good sign, but you can't really tell how soon she'll go from that. The tailhead will also kinda flatten out when the goat will kid within an hour or so (where the back kinda slopes down past the hips to the tail - the whole back end will be almost flat). Also, if you can wrap your hand around the tailhead, it'll be soon. Or if she's all drippy ;) I don't know if any of that makes sense - let me know if it doesn't. I love following your blog, btw! I wish we lived closer to you guys so we could talk goat/farm/garden stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what hard working children you have...maybe you should drive them over the mountains and they could work with mine. The boys do love jobs. Miss you guys so much, so glad your leg is doing better. And Yay on starting the new novella! Can't wait for ch. 2.

    ReplyDelete